Translate

Sunday 1 November 2015

October D.E.S.I.G.N. SAL

D.E.S.I.G.N. SAL

The idea of this Blog Hop is to choose a different designer each month and do a post focusing on a piece of their work you have stitched on during the month.  The hosts of D.E.S.I.G.N ask us to answer a few questions on our chosen designer.

1. What designer are you talking about this month?

The one that everyone seems to be talking about - Plum Street Samplers!  Paulette is the master of the SAL which makes everyone drop their needles and start her design instead.  Two years ago it was Mary's Sampler and this year it is the 12 Days of Christmas.

First Day




2. Have you stitched a project by this designer before?

Yes, back in 2013 Anna the Stitch Bitch had a competition and I entered a mash-up of a Plum Street freebie and a modern tattoo style design to show both sides of my personality:



3. Would you buy/stitch a design by this designer again?  Why/Why not?

Well, there's another 8 in the 12 Days to go!  I would really like to complete these by the end of this year, which is perfectly possible if I don't get distracted by something else.

Second Day

4. What made you choose this particular design/designer?

I do love a series and 12 Days is one of my favourite themes.  I liked the First Day when I saw it in JCS way back when and was disappointed she had only done the first two days.  When she said she was releasing the whole set I knew I had to keep up or they would never get done.

Third and Fourth Day




5. Did you notice anything that distinguished this designer from others?

Plum Street are a very traditional design company.  They used traditional motifs, often including an alphabet, a motto or a quote.  There is sometimes gentle humour, the little sausage dogs which appear in several designs are Halloweenies!  The colours tend to be muted, no neons here!  The fabrics are traditional linens, often on higher counts such as 36 which seems to be a favourite.  Paulette often uses Gentle Arts or Classic Colorworks threads although she always give a DMC conversion.

The 12 Days are charted using one red, one green and a dash of black and gold.  I decided to use a red Splendor silk for the main part of each design and a different accent colour for each Day.  Third Day has DMC 434 brown for the hens and tree branch.  Fourth Day will be black for the colly birds.


Finally, we have a pie chart for October, you can see what has taken up most of the month!


17 comments:

Kerryp77 said...

I really must start them. I'm so behind, yours are looking great. It's a fab series. I do enjoy reading about these new designers. I'm quite a fan of the traditional style in small designs.

Daffycat said...

Awesome job on the mystery sampler so far, they look fantastic! I'm hopelessly behind, lol!

Bea said...

There seem to be a number of people doing this series and they are certainly eye catching. Loving your little pops of colour.

Heather said...

Great post I'm excited to start her 12 days but it will be a while

Linda said...

Great post and lovely stitching Jo.

Linda

Stitching Noni said...

Great post! I really like your 12 days.... they are going to be lovely when their all done :o)
Your pie chart is looks brilliant - such a great way to see where your stitching time goes!
Hugs xx

Rachel said...

Can't wait to see more of those 12 Days samplers, even though I'm not a sampler person. You pie charts's interesting - just goes to show how many projects can be stitched on in a month! :)

Christine said...

The 12 days are looking great. I've always liked Paulette's designs, I love the quirky twist she puts on traditional themes

Tiffstitch said...

Great description and info, thank you!

Thoeria said...

I've seen this popping up in blogland :) They are lovely! Will you be finishing them as flat ornies or pillows?

Justine said...

I've seen these designs on a few blogs and they are really nice. Interesting to learn a bit more about the designer!

KimM said...

Beautiful stitching - love your post!!
xxx

Sarah in Stitches said...

I love Plum Street Samplers! I've been hoarding her designs for a while, though I don't seem to ever get around to stitching them... Oh well! I'm enjoying watching your 12 Days :D

Julie said...

Growing nicely, you'll soon be all up to date with them.

Barb said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and the comment on my cubes , I have now started the christmas cubes, LOVED browsing your blog and your older posts. so enjoyable and I WILL be back. I have become a follower .

Leonore Winterer said...

Great entry, thanks for participating in DESIGN again! :)

Brigitte said...

Oh yes, Paulette has wonderful designs. An this new 12 Days series is very inspiring. I think I will stitch it next year - one design per month.